Another great beef recipe. Suitable alternative cuts include: silverside, topside and brisket.For a bigger piece of beef, allows 30-40 minutes per 450 g.
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) braising Beef (such as brisket), boned and rolled
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 300 g (10 oz.) carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 50 g (2 oz.) flour
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 440 ml (1 3/4 cups) dark ale
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) beef stock or water
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 12 slices of country bread
- 60 g (2 oz.) Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the joint and brown all sides.
- Place in a deep 3.4 litre (6pt) ovenproof casserole. Add garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaves and season well. Add stock and the brown ale.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours. Thicken with gravy granules if gravy is too runny. Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
- This amazing beef ale pot roast is ready to serve....hmmm extraordinary taste !