Try this classic from the menu of Les Trois Tilleuls recipe. This soup is slightly sweet, so serve it in small quantities. Serve with a drizzle of cream in a spiderweb pattern for a festive touch.
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) Onions
- 100 g (6 tbsp.) butter
- 60 g (1/4 cup) sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) wine vinegar
- 60 ml (2 oz.) Port
- 1 liter (4 cups) light chicken stock
- 30 ml (1 oz.) crème fraîche
1. peel the onions and slice thinly. Melt the butter in a large saucepan;
2. add the onions and cook until colored, stirring constantly. When the onions are very soft, add the sugar and caramelize.
3. add the wine vinegar, Port and chicken stock.
4. cook for about 30 minutes; purée and correct the seasoning if necessary.
5. blend in the cream.
1. Serve with crisp croutons and grated cheese (e.g., Comté, Emmenthal)
Hmmm. a great taste of onion soup....nice !